Sunday, January 27, 2008

Week 2 Reflections

My first two weeks in this Art Appreciation class have been extremely eye opening. Despite the hard work and time dedication that is required, I have found a new liking for the terminology that I can now use to describe my lifelong appreciation of art. I have discovered the difference between simply looking at a piece of artwork with admiration and actually taking the time to sit down and truly analyze what the artist was trying to convey through form and content. My personal favorite thus far has been the hard work and determination of Robert Smithson, that is now the Spiral Jetty. Before I read about this in the text I had no idea it even existed. Now, I am truly interested in taking a trip to view this amazing form of art through my own eyes. I find his giant earthwork to be truly inspirational, especially after digging deeper into the content of what the spiral form actually represents throughout the world.

This brings me to the topic of ethnocentric readings. I find this to be very fascinating, since it is common to impose one’s own judgment on worldly objects or ideas. Why is it that we think everyone or everything should be like “us” or think as we do? It is hard to detach yourself from biases and prejudices, although this is what is necessary to take in the true beauty or meaning behind a piece of work. After gaining the knowledge from the information I have gathered in these past couple weeks, I am now fully interested in learning to take a step back and accurately take in the true context of a piece of artwork.

1 comment:

Courtney Boll said...

I also really like Robert Smithson’s Spiral Jetty. I wish I had known it existed sooner because I went through Utah this past summer with my boyfriend and his family while on a road trip. We stopped at Arches National Park, which is also very beautiful. If I am ever in Utah again I most definitely want to see the Spiral Jetty! I love your blog, the picture of the Eiffel Tower is beautiful!