Sunday, February 3, 2008

Controversial Art

When I think of art a variety of things come to mind. From architecture, to sculptures, to paintings, the possibilities are infinite. Now, when someone thinks of taking all of this freedom away I simply see a tragedy in the works. The freedom in which art allows an individual to express him/herself is the ultimate beauty of art. Now, as an artist, would I want to check a list of acceptable criteria before letting my imagine run wild? The answer is NO. Predetermined standards would undermine the freedom that art is based upon. Simply placing standards does not take away an individuals creativity or talent. The only thing it would do is prevent the works of art from impacting people around the world. Although, even this may be impossible. For when alcohol was banned, people found ways, right? The impact may just take longer to spread with restrictions in place and the “world of art” that we live in would be forever changed.

Artistic freedom is what makes the topic of art unique. Every country, every culture, and every individual is able to use art as a release of thoughts and ideas. Art can bridge the gaps of languages, customs, and beliefs to bring people together to view and interpret individual pieces of work. If restrictions were placed that limited such freedoms, the circulation of magnificent works of art may see a detrimental impact. Thus, limiting our connection to different parts of the world. Art goes far beyond the individual who created the work and this is what must be taken into consideration before anyone implements regulations or standards upon our connection to the world. No two people view the same image in an identical way, which allows a single work of art to inspire creative interpretations among viewers from various parts of the globe.

So, how can we leave it up to a select few to determine what is “acceptable” for the entire world? Who will these elicit few be that can bring together all these cultural ideas, beliefs and judgments to make a list of “non-controversial” art pieces? The answer is simple, really. Someone will always see controversy where they want to see it. We learn at a very young age that the world is not here to make everyone happy, it is up to the individual to find happiness. So my solution is this, if a piece of artwork has a negative impact on you, simply cross it off your list of things to see and continue on to judge the next piece. If you are not willing to interpret, or see from another’s eyes, the beauty that may be hidden in a piece of work, what are you doing in a museum in the first place? Rather than restrict everyone’s ability to take in art of all forms, simply ask yourself if you are willing to step outside your comfort zone, to enter a world of creativity, risk, imagination, and the unexpected, since this is what museums are all about. If that’s not for you, don’t go.

This week broadened my sense of the impacts of art around the world. I myself would never begin to think of restricting art. Anytime I find a piece of work I don’t care for, I just walk away, untouched and un-offended. I take into consideration that an individual put much thought and time into it and truly respect them for that. I don’t have to like it and I don’t have to look at it either. Art is truly about freewill, both from the artist’s perspective and the viewer’s. I think that is what needs to be considered. It amazes me that some people are willing to sacrifice other peoples’ freedoms, by selfishly thinking their views are above all else, and what offends them must offend all. Take a step back, you are not the only person in this world with morals, religious views, or anything else for that matter. I guess I feel the world would be a better place if everyone was willing to set aside their biases to truly appreciate the time, thought, and freedoms that go into a piece of artwork. Wouldn’t it be great if people realized, “it’s not all about you.”

[These photos are from my trip to the Louvre in Paris. If you ever get the chance to go, it is truly magnificent.]

3 comments:

Bob Clements' Blog said...

Hello Mandy,

I have been working my way through our class's multiple blogs and I wanted to stop and say hello. Your blog looks very interesting and informative. Your insight on Controversial Art offered a very well-rounded outlook and provided me with a better understanding. Good luck with the rest of the class.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mandy,
I visited your blog and read what your thoughts and opinions are. Art is definately a contraversatial topic. Amazing.. I really never thought about before this class. Anyhow I thought that was great that you've been to Paris. I myself hope to go their some day with my french born fiance'.
Adele

Michelle Pacansky-Brock said...

Mandy,

Thanks for sharing these terrific pictures of your trip to Paris with us. Your blog is lookin' great!

Michelle